Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Wacky Wednesday Morning

Whew!!  I did a little extreme shopping at Harris Teeter this morning.  Today kicked off super doubles and I was there with my coupons and shopping list at 6:00am (crazy, I know).  I was not alone.  The registers do not recognize the daily specials until 7:00am so the other ladies (and yes, it was all ladies) and I trolled the aisles snatching up the best deals and organizing our coupon stacks for an hour and then anxiously stood in line waiting to see who saved the most.  (Y'all know it was me, right?)  The secret to success?  Have a friend who doesn't like wacky Wednesday mornings and borrow her vic card.  You can only use 20 coupons per membership per day. (So your husband's won't work unless it is tied to a different address and phone number.)  I used 40.  I won't take you line by line through my receipts, but I'll give you  a general idea of what I got.  For a printable list and links to some printable coupons, visit:

http://www.southernsavers.com/

Harris Teeter 02/16

5 Colgate toothpaste, B2G3, reg. price $2.89
2 Pillsbury Simply doughs, reg. price $3.15 and $2.00
10 Pillsbury bread and cookie doughs, BOGO reg. price $2.29 to $2.99 each, special $4.00 off 10
Buitoni pasta, reg. price $4.00
Philly cooking cream. reg. price $3.39
Kraft singles, reg. price $2.79
Polly-O string cheese, reg. price $4.39
Cheerios
5 Mueller pasta
3 Hormel chili
2 Maxwell House coffee
2 frozen broccoli
Kibbles n Bits
2 Horizon Organic half and half, reg. price $2.49 each
Butterball turkey bacon
2 Nestle cookie dough, reg. price $3.39 each
2 Totino pizza, 3/$5.00
Breakstone sour cream
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce BOGO
2 Simply Lemonade, reg. price $2.99

Total cost: $34.20, Total vic savings: $46.32, Total coupons tendered: $89.10

I wanted to give you the regular price on some of these items so that you can compare the regular price at Harris Teeter to the regular price at a discount store like Walmart.  If you shop what is not on special and without coupons you will pay at least 10% and sometimes up to 25% more at HT than your big box store.  I only shop the specials.  I also did not buy all the normal things I feed my family, for staple menu items I will do a regular shop on Saturday.  I was able to get coffee and pasta and cheese and sour cream and vegetables and dog food...but you probably noticed that I also bought a ton of Pillsbury.  I will not be feeding all of that stuff to my husband and my kids.  After all of the coupons and special prices those items were practically free.  I will be sending them to school, bringing them to Sunday school, sharing them with my GA girls and donating to benevolence ministry.  My budget is tight so those are not always things I sign up to do every week.  Now I'm stocked with lots of things I can give away.  Oh, and we will eat the "Simply" items here.  They are preservative and artificial flavor free so if I have no problem putting them on my table for a regular meal.  I don't usually buy them because you pay such a premium for the convenience, but like I said, Harris Teeter was practically giving them to me today.

If you couldn't get to Harris Teeter this morning, check back on Saturday morning.  They have usually restocked their specials by then.  Happy Shopping!!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I actually got there at ten til 6 and the doors were open at mine here in FM so I walked right on in like I owned the place. I checked out at 6:30 and all of my deals and coupons worked. I only used 20 this morning but ended up getting $90 worth for only $19. The only tricky thing about going that early is that they didn't have all of their signs up so I had to pay attention to my list to make sure I was getting the right things on sale.

    ReplyDelete