Monday, February 7, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

Good morning friends!!  My wonderful husband was praising my cooking the other day and going on and on about how much he loved biscuits.  Now, this sounds like a great moment for me but Tracy is not really my benchmark for culinary achievement.  I love him the most and want him to be happy but sometimes the foods he loves the most; Totino's pizzas, Taco Bell, cheesy popcorn, etc. are not really the things I am most proud to serve.  Also, biscuits are the easiest thing I make.  Anyone can do it.

That said, I picked up a tube of refrigerated biscuit dough in the grocery store on Friday and stopped reading the ingredient list when I got to the 10th entry.  Maybe easy and beloved by my husband is exactly the alternative you need.

Buttermilk Biscuits

2C self rising flour
1/2C shortening
3/4C buttermilk

1.  Sift flour into a mixing bowl and cut in cold shortening.
2.  Add milk and stir lightly to form a stiff dough.
3.  Turn dough onto floured surface and knead.
4.  Roll to half inch thickness and cut out.
5.  Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes

Tips:  cold shortening, cold milk and sifted flour make flaky biscuits.  You already know this if you read my pie crust recipe.  You should also make sure not to twist your cutter when you are cutting out and place your biscuits on your pan with their sides touching - this helps with rise.  Finally, I like to take my biscuits out a minute or two before they are done and brush the tops with melted butter.  They brown really pretty and taste wonderful.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment