Friday, January 7, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Wow!!  I had my big shopping day today and could use a nice long nap.  Sadly, it is nearly 7:00 in the evening here so any nap I take could very well end at midnight.  Not a good plan. 

I have been trying to find the balance that is right for me between couponing and shopping at Walmart.  I know that the "SuperDouble" deals at Harris Teeter are great and sometimes those BiLo "Meal Deal"s are a really good value.  The coupon deals at both stores are fantastic.  My issue is that I find the regular prices at Harris Teeter appalling and while Bi-Lo is better in that area, the staples there are still more than I pay for the same item at Walmart.  I don't want to go to three stores  every week.  I really, really don't.  I also don't want to load up on frozen and convenience stuff because it is just not as good for us as homemade.  All that said - I do want to feed my family for $100.00 or less a week and sometimes taking a little extra help makes a big difference in my day.  So, here is what I bought.

Harris Teeter
 Quaker Oats (free with doubled coupon)
2 tubes Colgate toothpaste (free with doubled coupon)
Boneless chicken breast ( buy 1 get 2 free) - this item was marked at $9.55 per pack and the same size pack usually costs me $6.79 at Walmart but the free ones made it the better deal
Healthy choice soup cups ( $.99 per cup after sale and coupon) - this I don't usually eat but can donate to my church's food pantry
Special K cereal ( 2 for $5.00 plus double coupon for $1.00 off 3 made it $1.83 per box)
Meal deal:  Buy 2 Prego sauces ($6.00) get 1 Harris Teeter pasta, 1 Pepperidge Farm garlic toast, 1 Kraft Parmesan cheese and 1 Pepsi for free.

Bi-Lo
 Meal deal: Buy 2 Uno pizzas ($13.50) get Southern Home brand jalapeno poppers, potato skins, pizza bites, Mayfield ice cream and 1 Coke for free.
BOGO free - rice, Sara Lee bread, Kraft cheese block, Thomas bagels, Mueller's pasta
Special - ground beef, 3lbs at $2.50 per lb.

Walmart
 vegetable oil, salt, butter, milk, ricotta cheese, egg noodles, bologna (Caleb loves it), pretzels, wheat flour, potatoes, bag salad, canned fruit salad, chocolate chips, pork chops, bananas, corn chips, Rotel tomatoes, lasagna sheets, glue sticks ( for school), beef roast, ziptop bags, flour and cornmeal.

I got all of this with a couple of bucks to spare from my $100.00 budget and it takes us through next weeks menu. 

Happy Shopping!!

1 comment:

  1. You do have to be careful with HT's prices but if you're on your game and only get the things on sale/coupons you can score big. I got $100 worth for $15 this week with super double coupons. That was nonperishables, some meat and freezer items mostly. I'll get my produce at Aldi or Walmart. Love your new header!

    ReplyDelete