Saturday, January 15, 2011

Grocery Shop 1/14

Hey Friends!!  I did my big grocery shop yesterday.  Thanks to the snow it was my only grocery shop since last Friday.  I think the lesson to be learned is that the less often you get out to the store - the less money you spend.  It's funny how that works.

Anyway, I wasn't super excited about the deals available this week and didn't go to BiLo at all.  I did hit Harris Teeter and Walmart and here is what I got.

Harris Teeter -

3 giant boxes of Cheerios and 3 boxes of HT brand cereal bars $8.00. (Their big box of Cheerios ring up at $4.55 each but were marked down to 2 for $6.00.  The cereal bars were part of HTs buy theirs get ours free so the cereal bars went from $2.50 to nothing.  I used a coupon that gave me $1.00 off three boxes of Cheerios.)
2 tubes Colgate toothpaste (Free with doubled coupon and sale price)
HT pasta - $.59 each BOGO
Milk - $2.77 each on special
Peter Pan peanut butter - $.67 (Sale price and doubled coupon)
yeast strip - (Free with doubled coupon and sale price)

Walmart -

sugar, eggs, bread, peas, carrots, green beans, tomato sauce, potatoes, flour, tortillas, Rotel tomatoes, apple juice, shampoo, laundry soap, dryer sheets, paper towels, gummy snacks, pork chops, eye of round roast, apples, cheese slices, 2 cheese blocks, salsa, brown sugar, cucumber and two lemons

$72.95

This was an unusual Walmart trip for me because we needed lots of household stuff like laundry supplies and shampoo and conditioner.  I typically use generic brand laundry detergent and dryer sheets and add an oxygen based powder booster.  I also buy off brand shampoo and conditioner.  My hair is straight and a little oily so I wash it about 5 times a week and don't need any specialized formulas or products - so I don't buy them.  It was also an unusual trip because I did not buy the store brand cheese that I usually buy.  For whatever reason, Kraft had the better price this week.  I usually buy the store brand 16oz. sharp cheddar block for $4.08 when we need cheese.  Kraft was selling a new 9oz. size block for $1.98.  I bought 2 and spend $3.96 for 18oz.    It just proves the point that you shouldn't lock yourself into a shopping pattern.  Instead, actively seek the best value. 

Happy Shopping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment