Friday, November 12, 2010

What's For Dinner?

I ask myself this question all the time.  My family also asks me...and never when anyone else can hear them.  So I answer this question at least four times a day and sometimes more often than that if the one who asks at 10:00am has forgotten by 4:30.  I have yet to answer that question and get a response of, "Oh, wow!!  You must really love us.  You are the best Mom ever!  Thank you!!"  I don't know why...

Meal planning, shopping and preparing food for my family is one of the most time consuming tasks I have.  I spend tons of time thinking about food.  Who likes what, who won't eat it, how much is it going to cost, how can I make it cost less, is there any way I can convince someone else to clean up after we eat it - a LOT of time thinking about food.  Part of the reason I let it dominate my day is the fact that I believe that it is my responsibility to teach my children the importance of wholesome food and to enjoy our time to together when we share a meal.  It is my gift to them - my act of service.  Daily bread matters. 

In addition to growing their bodies, I aim to shape the attitudes and expectations of my little ones so that they conform to my value system.  I believe that we can do more for others with the resources we are given if we have simple lifestyles and live below our means.  If I don't spend every penny in my bank account every month not only do I have money on hand for my emergencies but I will have something to give when my neighbor is in need.  Families in this country spend a whopping $650.00 per month on food and 40% of that eating out.  I want my children to think that eating out is something we do to celebrate a special occasion or when we are on vacation.  I want them to know all of their food groups and notice when there is one missing from their plate.  I want them to be nourished and comfortable - not stuffed and sluggish.  Most of all, I want my children to look forward to family meal time and know that there is always room at our table for one more.

I look forward to sharing with you my recipes, menus, budget and money saving tips.  I also hope to inspire you to look at your kitchen with something more than the dread of having the wrong answer to the "What's for Dinner?" question.  I want you to see it as your kingdom and your mission field.

No comments:

Post a Comment