Friday, November 12, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

Today the kids and I (my husband opted out of this one) prepared and ate shepherd's pie.  I scanned some of the cookbooks I have lining my kitchen counter and found recipes similar to what I was after - meat, a veggie and a mashed potato topping - but nothing just right for us.  I don't usually enjoy a dish prepared with cream of something soup or ketchup and that eliminated much of what I found.  Here's what I came up with:

1 lb. ground beef (93/7)
8oz. frozen green peas
1 envelope onion soup mix
5 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
parsley
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1.  brown ground beef with a little olive oil.  If you are using ground beef with a higher fat content you will want to drain it before the next step.

2.  add onion soup mix and 3/4 cup of hot water.  Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.

3.  add frozen peas.  Simmer until peas are defrosted.

4.  warm mashed potatoes in microwave.  This recipe is designed to use leftover or planned over mashed potatoes.  If you don't have any you can start from scratch or take advantage of one of the few convenience food products I advocate - instant mashed potatoes.  I don't enjoy instant potatoes by themselves but they work great in casseroles - and they are cheap, cheap cheap.  I buy the store brand in a big box with no added flavors.  Once your potatoes are warm stir in the sour cream and add parsley.  I use around 1 tablespoon of dried but this item should be added to suit your taste.

5.  pour beef mixture into a buttered 8x8 glass casserole dish (I use Pyrex).  Spoon potatoes on top and spread to cover.  Top with shredded cheese.  Or don't.  This is not a cheesy casserole.  It is not supposed to be gooey.  You should try it topped with french fried onions or buttered bread crumbs or just a little paprika.  The goal is to add a little color or texture to the top.

6.  bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30minutes.  Let rest for 10 minutes.

My daughter and I ate this for lunch and then I warmed up the rest for supper.  It was yummy and I did not have to cook twice - it also made evening clean up easier.

COST $7.00/ $1.17 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment