Saturday, November 20, 2010

Horn of Plenty

Friends, Thanksgiving is nearly here.  My family and I are travelling to Alabama this year to spend the holiday week with my husband's parents.  It is a little sad for me to not be orchestrating and menu planning all by myself - I do love to be in charge - but I've never cooked this meal with my mother-in-law and I know it is going to be an experience I'll treasure.

In preparation for our holiday the kids and I have been talking about Thanksgiving and what it means to be grateful.  How do I explain to a five year old who has never lacked anything how miraculous God's provision for us is?  How do I contrast the glowing comfort of a table full of food and family to the emptiness of hunger and loneliness?  Security and fear?  I don't want my little ones to face the harsher realities of this world yet,  so we don't talk about the families around us who are hungry.  I think about them and pray for them, and I hope you will too.

After I return from my trip I will begin posting steps that every family can take to help make sure that their kitchens are horns of plenty for their families and friends.  I will also be posting about hospitality and simple table manners.  I love this time of year - nothing pairs family and food quite like Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment