Thursday, March 10, 2011

Muffins for Lunch

I was soooo grateful to have lunch muffins in the freezer this morning!!  I didn't get a good night's sleep last night so my wonderful husband let me sleep in.  He woke me up at 7:32 so that I could get Caleb dressed, pack his lunch and check his homework folder by 7:45.  Ooops.  Now, if I were the SuperMom I always thought I would be this would not have been a problem.  SuperMoms always have the lunch packed and clothes, clean and pressed, laid out the night before and the folder is updated and notes to teacher written on the day it arrives home.  I am not SuperMom.  I jumped out of bed, ran to the dryer and said a little prayer of thanks that there were socks and pants in there.  I then shook them out instead of ironing and dressed my son at top speed.  Dad had fed the kids their breakfast before waking me so after the teeth brushing, face washing and hair combing I had a full 2.5 minutes to pack lunch.  I tossed into Caleb's box a bottle of water, an apple, a yogurt, a rice krispy treat and... corndog muffins.  Done.  Here's the recipe:

Corndog Muffins

2 C self-rising corn meal mix
1/3 C sugar
1 1/2 C milk
1 egg
1/4 C vegetable oil or melted butter
3 hot dogs, sliced lengthwise and then cut into thin half circles

1.  line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and heat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  mix milk, egg and oil together with whisk and then add all at once to corn meal mix and sugar.  Stir until just moistened.  Add hot dog slices and stir to distribute.
3.  fill muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
4.  remove from pan and cool completely.  Place two by two into ziptop bags and toss in freezer.

Know what kind of self rising cornmeal you have.  Some call for the addition of flour and some already have the flour in them.  Just follow your package directions.  Also, don't substitute a complete mix.  The "just add water" varieties have powdered and sometimes chemically altered milk and egg substitutes.  You don't want to eat that.  Know your hot dog.  For the kids stuff I use a kosher, all beef, low fat variety.  You might want to try Hebrew National.  You of course can use an all natural chicken or turkey frank if you prefer it to beef.

To thaw my muffins I toss the ziptop bag with two muffins in it into the microwave for 20 seconds at full power and then toss the bag into the lunch box.  By lunch the muffins are completely thawed and have no hot spots.

Corn bread also makes a good base for a muffin with breakfast sausage and maple syrup, zucchini and cheddar cheese, or chili.  Adding a protein source makes a muffin a great lunch box main course.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. You need to take a picture of these and show them off! I would have never thought of making muffins for lunch! Now, to get Harris off of his diet and maybe I can make some! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! My kids would love these! Thanks! And btw, the fact that you had them in the freezer qualifies your supermom status.

    ReplyDelete