Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Month That Flies By

So, apparently in my world March is the month that flies by.  I barely knew it had arrived before I was a week in.  The only reason I know I'm a week in is that my husband's birthday is the 7th.  We went out to eat last night to celebrate but Saturday we did cake and presents so that the kids would have time to be in on the fun.  Tracy loves chocolate cake and here is my recipe for the very best one.

Tracy's Chocolate Cake

2C sugar
1 3/4 C all purpose flour
3/4 C unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t instant coffee
2 eggs
1/2 C oil
2 t vanilla
1 C boiling water

1.  heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pans.  I like to line mine with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
2.  whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl. I use the bowl to my stand mixer.  Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3.  Stir in boiling water and scrape sides.  Mix for another minute.  Pour into pans - your batter will be thin.
4.  bake 30-35 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pans, then cool completely.

If you are using one square or rectangular pan instead of two rounds you will need to bake an additional 10 minutes.  Use a toothpick to test doneness a little before you think it should be ready.

You should also know that you do not need to add mayonnaise or sour cream or egg whites or pudding mix or any other wacky formulas or ingredients to get a moist and delicious cake.  This one will be perfect every time - just don't overcook it and cover it well.  I recommend...

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1/2 C butter
2/3 C cocoa
3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C heavy cream
1 t vanilla

1.  melt butter and combine with cocoa.  stir until smooth.
2.  alternately add sugar and cream, beating on medium speed until spreading consistency.
3.  stir in vanilla.

You really do need a stand mixture or high end hand mixer to make good frosting.  My little hand held was never quite up to the task.  I could smell the motor burning every time I tried to mix it up because good frosting is so thick.  If you do not usually have cream on hand you can use milk.  You also should feel free to add more powdered sugar or cream to get the consistency just the way you want it.  Please make your frosting from scratch at least one time.  I promise you won't be disappointed.  It is so much better - and pretty easy, too.

Happy Birthday Tracy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment