Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Saturday Baking

Monday, wash day.  Tuesday, ironing.  Wednesday, mending.  Thursday, errands.  Friday, cleaning. 

Saturday, baking.

This weekly chore chant has gotten thousands of homemakers on track for hundreds of years.  When I need a reboot I sing it to myself and decide again that I am going to get on and stick to a schedule.  It usually works until it doesn't anymore and then I find I need another reboot.  I am thinking ahead to school starting in a couple of weeks and trying to get on track for the renewal of our busy family schedule.  Both my little ones are going this year and I want very much for them to have lunch boxes full of food they would never trade and a dinner that makes them look forward to coming home.  Here is a Saturday baking itinerary that will get your ready for your week.

1 basic roll dough - yields 12 clover leaf dinner rolls and 16 raisin cinnamon rolls

1 perfect white bread - yields 2 loaves

1 best ever muffins - yields 12 muffins; we like blueberry or jam

1 biscuit dough - wrap tightly and refrigerate.  take out at dinner time, bake, and eat immediately - yields 12-15 biscuits.

1 simple cake - loaf pound cake, pineapple upside-down cake, applesauce cake, etc.

OR

1 pie

AND

2 cookies, bars or mini pies; we like chocolate chip cookies, brownies and apple pies but I like to mix it up.

This sounds like a lot of baking, and well, it is.  But if you set aside the time to do it in one day you save a lot of time in cleanup and ingredient gathering.  This list should give a family of four like mine 3 breakfasts, 5 desserts,  5 dinner breads, sandwiches and toast, and lunch box and after school snacks for the week.

Mmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment